My current research interests fall into six topic areas:
- Building performance–buildings in general, but with a particular focus on large-scale commercial and institutional buildings.
- Users’ perceptions of sustainable buildings–in terms of their environmental and operational performance, and their influence on health and productivity.
- User performance benchmarks–their development and incorporation into Rating Tools for buildings in operation.
- Low energy design and operation–of commercial and institutional buildings.
- Internal environments of buildings–thermal, air quality, acoustic and lighting conditions in practice.
- Sustainable and regenerative systems–their application in building design and retrofit.
I am involved in four major research projects:
- Case studies investigating the principles and practices of low energy and environmentally sustainable design
- Field studies of building occupants perceptions on facilities
- Analysis of the performance of sustainable buildings
- Development of user performance benchmarks in sustainability rating tools for buildings in operation
- Environmental engineering systems
- Sustainable engineering systems